Bai lou has been awarded the UNESCO SEAL OF EXCELLENCE FOR HANDICRAFTS, for it's hand-woven shawl.
The product is a 100s / 100s cotton shawl woven in the double cloth technique. Tiny pockets were created, into which metallic sequin were inserted during weaving.
The UNESCO SEAL OF EXCELLENCE FOR HANDICRAFTS Programme (hereafter referred to as the "SEAL") aims to encourage the artisans to produce handicrafts using traditional skills, patterns and themes in an innovative way, in order to ensure the continuity and sustainability of these traditions and skills.
A product that is certified with the "Seal of Excellence" meets the highest level of craft excellence and is distinguished as a benchmark for craft production.
An international selection panel, nominated by UNESCO, judges submissions annually based on meeting ALL of the following 6 criteria. To be certified with the SEAL, a product must be.
- Excellent : Demonstrated excellence and standard-setting
quality in craftsmanship.
- Authentic : Expression of cultural identity and traditional
- Innovative : Innovation in design and production.
- Eco-friendly : Respect for the environment in materials and
- Marketable : Marketability of the item, with potential
the world market.
- Fair : Social responsibility.
The product has been on display at the Central Cottage Emporium Industries, Janpath, New Delhi from the 1st. of November 2006 till the 10th. of November 2006.